Thursday, April 7, 2016

BUHAY AKTOR: Bibo in Harold Pinter's THE LOVER

The aim of any actor is the same: to tell the truth in such a way that people will be entertained, uplifted and surprised.

I was overwhelmed to have been contacted by the graduating class of BA Theater Arts for their UP Dulaang Laboratoryo Play under Dr. Alexander Cortez as their professor.

The piece? A Harold Pinter Masterpiece no less, The LOVER.

As an aspiring actor,  experience may be is one of your most valuable assets. So I  always say YES, especially if I know this will definitely develop my craft.


These are the following things I've learned in theater acting that I wish to impart for starting actors.

1. Listen before anything else.
2. Read the text over and over again, and make sure you know the lines.
3. Never show off. You can sometimes come to a particular point in a show and think, "I'm really good in this bit." Never, ever think that.
4. Never know more than your character knows. I'm not talking about research; I mean that when you are performing, you must stay inside the truth of your character. Don't signpost to an audience what they should be thinking.
5. The most important thing is to breathe. If you stop breathing properly, you get a sore throat. And if you stop breathing, you die. Lol. 

Sharing with you the photos from my last stage performance.
UP Dulaang Laboratoryo
Director: Joy Cerro
Co Actor: Rain Gutierrez
at the Teatro Hermogenes Ylagan, FC UP Diliman


The Poster


I fell in love with my character Richard the moment the script was handed to me.

 
The Publicity Photo released on Social Media

I was very excited, I was already at the campus 5 hours prior to the play.

PHOTOS BY TRIXIE DAUZ




With my Director Joy Cerro and co-actor Rain Gutierrez and the Theater Adviser Dr. Alex Cortez


Of course, some of my best of friends were there to show support and love


Lastly, I guess the best advice I can give which sometimes I am misunderstood, aheeem, is to People-watch, it's the best way to develop a character. When you're walking down the street, or sitting on a bus, in a cafe or doctor's surgery – don't close yourself off.

Until our next adventure,

Bibo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...