Friday, November 9, 2012

Helen

A face that launched a thousand ships... (from Helen of Troy)

Helen has been the literary and mythic symbol of sexual beauty and illicit love in the western culture.

And my cousin Helen is without a doubt epitomizes her given name, a beauty and elegance personified.

This is a dedication blog as she is about to embark a new milestone in her life. She is due to give birth to my pamangkin anytime this week.

I am just as excited as everyone else.


To Helen
by Edgar Allan Poe (1831)

Helen, thy beauty is to me
    Like those Nicean barks of yore,
That gently, o'er a perfum'd sea,
    The weary way-worn wanderer bore
    To his own native shore.

On desperate seas long wont to roam,
    Thy hyacinth hair, thy classic face,
Thy Naiad airs have brought me home
    To the beauty of fair Greece,
And the grandeur of old Rome.

Lo ! in that little window-niche
    How statue-like I see thee stand!
    The folded scroll within thy hand —
A Psyche from the regions which
    Are Holy land !













Category: Faces

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...